Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

Roger excellent post.
Quote:
An additional factor was the decline or, as in the case of France, the elimination of the aristocracy who had favored the most ornate artifacts. Especially in America where the European aristocracy was even held in contempt, this distain for the highly ornate was frowned upon. This can be seen in all American craft from furniture to guns of the colonial period.
I would have never have thought of this but it makes perfect sense it has been done with other things in history (you can't have something from the homeland)
This is a great thread and has kept me reading every day to see what's is new // also I agree that the talent on this forum is TOP SHELF alright. My earlier posts were a general statement about the country // While the talent is most certainly still out there, the use is not as wide spread as it was in earlier years // take buildings for example we construct a good strong build but we don't see the ornate elaborate brick work of even 75 to 100 years ago. I really believe it has to do with the amount of time we have to do the job. We as a society demand fast and thats lacks in quality when you reach a certain speed. I'm probbably rambling on but just my thoughts