View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Does this house come with Gators?

They have Gator hunts now in Florida, the Gators have become a real problem in numbers in some areas, so they issue permits for a hunt each year.
Had my share of gator tail and yes the jowls get fought over.
Fish and Game pulled a 13 foot @ 450+lbs out of this canal last year, that's big enough to eat a human, not just take pieces.

Since we live on the water, the noise at night during breeding season around here is something to hear. It gets so loud that you have to close the windows to sleep. Right now I would guess that there are about 15 Gators within a 1/4 mile of our house, I'm guessing but the differnt tones at night can give you a clue to how many are around.

Not a good time to take night walks along the water, if you do, you should bring a dog along on a leash. They can hear the gator before you get close to it, this will keep you from stepping on it in the dark.

You can tell the big ones from how deep the croaking is, the deeper the sound the bigger the gator. There's a good sized Gator hole two houses down and across the canal from us, we heard something get eaten last night just behind the house. A loud scream, water splashing, then silence, erie to hear.
Another duck bites the dust.
Tim