View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Standing water in the studio this morning

The flood back in 93 was really something. I will never forget that as long as I live. That was a flood of history. This is tiny compared to that.

That flood was caused by several things. One was that our ground around here was already at its saturation point like it is now. The rain could not soak into the ground. Another factor was that the Missouri and the Mississippi rivers both being above flood stage upstream and both are huge rivers to begin with. They were above flood stage before they ever reached the St Louis area. Then we had other large rivers in the area that were already at flood stage like Big River and the Meramac River. All of these rivers converge in this area. With that as the set up we had a lot of rain and then more rain and then more rain.

This flood, while bad for those in it is not near as widespread. This flood in our area is primarily effecting Big River and the Meramac River. Both of which are in my back yard but not affecting Festus directly at this point. It looks like the Mississippi is able to handle the overflow so far. Hopefully, the Mississippi will handle it and won't cause big problems for towns and cities downstream of here.

we have had about a day and a half of sunshine. That has given me a chance to get my water problems under control for now. The weather gurus are saying that the oncoming rain is likely to go north of us. If it does we will be in good shape.

Thanks for the prayers guys,

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/