Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default Inexpensive way to give it a try

If you're interested in giving hand engraving a try without spending a lot of money an easy method may be to purchase a wood graver handle and a graver (probably $10 total). Clamp a scrap piece of brass, copper or steel in a bench vise and begin. With the stationary bench vise it will be hard to make curves or scrolls but it will work to make straight line cuts. In fact, you can try it without a vise if palm-pushing light lines in copper. For deeper engraving use a small hammer and tap on the back of the graver or graver handle and drive the point through the metal. You'll need to have the work in a vise for use with a hammer though. If you're familiar with carving and sculpturing wood with chisels, engraving in metal is basically the same idea except the cuts are smaller and the chisels are sharpened differently.

Below is an example of what can be done palm-pushing. Lucie Krulickova from the Czech Republic has engraved several large maps on copper plate using palmpushing only and without a vise. She later began using a foot pedal AirGraver and now she is with a PalmControl AirGraver. Lucie's web site is at www.engraving.wz.cz She makes prints from the plates and sells the prints.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Steel

Default Re: Inexpensive way to give it a try

I appreciate the simple elegant process of pushing the handmade tool into the metal. It took me awhile to understand why the graver worked and how to sharpen it to get proper results. Granted the pushmethod can consume a lot of your time, but in my humble opinion, you will learn from the experience.

I would think, most of the accomplished engravers out there have gone this route of hands-on trail and error.

There are a vast number of ways to cut metal especially non-flat surfaces. For myself, I found the challenge to be addictive and creative when one has to fashion a particular bend in a graver to reach inside a bracelet and cut a horizontal line.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I sure agree. A good part of it for me has been this. Having to be creative and figure out how to make a particular graver or tool for a job is just as rewarding as the art part of drawing the design and scroll and cutting it.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Copper

I'm very interested in the beauty of engraving and want to add that new aspect to my guitar making. I want to give my guitars a similar look to the Zemaitis guitars (www.zemaitis.net). As I have never had any engraving experience I would like to know how I can get materials and hand-gravers to practice and eventually use in my guitar construction. If a more experienced engraver could look at the designs on the Zemaitis web-site and give me and tips on how i could replicate that style then i would be really gratefull. Also I would like to know how long it would take on average to get to a similar level of standard.

-GuitarEngraver

(Apologies for not creating a new thread but I seem to be unable to do so. Thank you for reading this message)
Old 07-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Copper

I like it and will give it a try...

-B Shaw
Old 07-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-e
I like it and will give it a try...

-B Shaw
Welcome! I have some rose wood gravers handles that I'm not using. If you want, email your mailing address and I'll send one with a sharpened graver bit.

Steve
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Copper

hello everyone, i'd like to give engraving a try. i want to dress up a couple of knives anf rifles i have. steve, what type of graver do you recommend for newbies like me? square, round, flat, chisel??? so many choices!!! also, what does the size number next to a graver refer to? is it cm, mm, or something else??

thanks,
marco
Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome Marco, I couldn't ever make rhyme or reason out of the numbering system on the preshaped old tang gravers. Brian Marshall or someone else might know though?? I don't use that kind but instead shape them from 3/32" square blanks.
Steve
Old 07-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Steel

Send a message via MSN to pkasnes

dymndback asked:

what type of graver do you recommend for newbies like me?

Somewhere I found this on the internet:

We asked James B. Meek, author of The Art Of Engraving for his recommendations. This is what he wrote: "Perhaps 90% of all the scroll work in engraving can be done with the following tools". Point Graver No. 4 will cut most scrolls. Fine detail is cut with 0 Point. Knife No. 2 is also for detail. The Square is perhaps the most widely used, can also be sharpened as a point, or a chisel, Flat Nos. 36 and 37, and Round Nos. 50 and 54 are needed for lettering on high relief.

Pål
Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkasnes
dymndback asked:

what type of graver do you recommend for newbies like me?

Pål
this graver point.
Steve
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Steel

Send a message via MSN to pkasnes

To ground and shape your (Lindsay) new point-geometry will be difficult without a dual-angel-holder device. Especially for non-experienced engravers. For one that will try this for the first time and in an inexpencive way I suggested to use the same gravers that mr. Meek has used for many years. The only thing you need then is couple of gravers with handles and an arkansas-stone. And of course something to engrave. Maybe start with something soft, like copper. This don`t need to cost more than 10-15 dollars.

Then, if you like it, the next step will be to buy a powerhone with a dual-angel-holder. And then start to ground the kind of graverpoint Lindsay has developt.

I hope this make sense. I must appologise for my English, hope you understand what I`m trying to say.

Pål
Old 07-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Copper

i didn't think the lindsay point graver would work as a push graver. i'll have to order one and experiment. thanks to all for their comments and information.

marco
Old 07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Gold

The Lindsay graver grind does work well as a traditonal graver. Every once in a while I'll cut a job with out any juice and it cuts the same as it does with the air turned on.

Allan
Old 08-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Copper

Thank you so much for the handpiece and engraver Steve...

-B Shaw
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-e
Thank you so much for the handpiece and engraver Steve...
-B Shaw
You're welcome. Keep us posted how you get along palm pushing it.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Copper

With do and I hope that you enjoy what I come up with...

-B Shaw
Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Gold

The Lindsay point geometry works beautifully, after trying the negative heal relief I have ground all of my gravers this way.... their better... another thing, Yes it is best to have a good sharpening jig like the dual angle most of us are using, but by understanding the principal of the tool geometry you can do this by hand on a stone and or bench grinder just dont get it too hot.

Wow alota new people, will be interesting to see how the industry developes over the next thirty years or so... Good luck all, Jim Burns
Old 03-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Copper

This is exactly what I was looking for (starting as hobby and not career)! So would it be safe to say that in addition to a practice plate and graver + handle, I should buy a manual graver sharpener (I think I've seen one before - it holds the blank and lets you roll it back and forth on an abrasive surface right?) and abrasive block? Thanks in advance!

Oh and any advice if I want to try engraving on an inexpensive flute in the future?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Copper

Send a message via MSN to Buddy Shaw

Hello everyone I have gotten a new computer and am not using Jin-e any more... more simply just using my name...

-B Shaw
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Copper

Send a message via Yahoo to IstoneDraftsman
Question Re: Inexpensive way to give it a try

Hello all, I am a new guy with quite a bit of talent in art, with a huge shortage on funds (college tuition is a pain to pay), so I was wondering a few things about building my own gravers (actually a manufacturing student who owes me a favor wil build it, I have no tools). I am a student in Computer Aided Drafting, and have access to quite a bit of materials, I just don't have the time to take courses in Manufacturing myself.

How thick and long should the tool steel be? (I plan on starting on Aluminum stock and some brass scraps).

Are there any plans online or whatnot for a vise? (again, he owes me BIG time for drawing up those parts).

Are there any tips or point designs I should avoid?,

I have an idea for something fairly basic, and can draw them up in CAD, I just don't want to stomp on a patent or be guilty of stealing someones copywritten tip design. I am also in the process of building a CNC mill to cut out basic shapes of jewelry so I can hand engrave them and also cut out acrylic computer chassis, and implement hand engraved Aluminum designs on the.

I absolutely love this art and am dedicated to becoming the best artist I can become, I just hope you all as Graver Gods can bestow knowledge upon my thirsty soul..............
, yeah the last statement was cheesy as all getup, I have an eccentric personality
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Copper

Hey guys- I've been around reading for a while, just decided to register and ask a few questions. :D

I'm not quite sure if I should make a new thread or ask here-

I was wondering where I could get a beginners graver,or even there what exactly I'd be looking for.

Is there somewhere to get stock metal? brass,copper,steel plates, what do you guys recommend for someone with no experience? softer metals I would presume?

If there was any information online about technique, styles or just a good write up on engraving- I basically have no knowledge other than what I've read about
and would really like to give it a try.

-thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome :seeya:, I'd be happy to sharpen a graver, place it in a manual palm wood handle along with some copper plate. PM me your mailing address and I'll get one together and in the mail. Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Copper

Wow...what a great site! The artwork here is outstanding.

My name is Dave, I'm a high school art teacher in the State of Washington. I sure would like to introduce this media to a very talented student of mine, any suggestions where to get a 'beginner' grave to get started would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time

David Williams
email addy: mac1jw@comcast.net
Old 09-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Welcome Dave :waving:
I'd be happy to send a wood palm handle with a presharpened point, along with a piece of copper. Just email or pm me your mailing address.
Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Steel

One way to hold your pieces while engraving is a pitch bowl.They are fairly inexpensive,with the addition of a $5.00 lazy susan availible from most good hardware stores you have fairly controlable rotation.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Copper

PM sent Steve, thank you for the quick reply.

dave
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Steel

Hey Steve, the graver arrived in the mail today! Unfortunately it's Deer season here and my week is booked up, which sucks 'cause I am dying to give it a try!

Anyway, thank you again for your generosity.

I will post my progress as soon as I can.

STV (aka Steve1 )
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Copper

Is there a supplier that you can buy the handle and point that Steve recommends? My home ground gravers aren't working so well. I can sharpen my files, shears, and other simple tools fine but the compound angels always get me.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Hi Rob, I can send you a handle for no charge.

The sharpener to reproduce that point without diamond stones is $89 , $128 with one 2000 grit stone or $199 for all four stones (260, 600, 1200 and 2000 grits).
http://www.handgravers.com/sharpening.htm

Steve

PS.. Rob, Just found your website. The little V8 looks like a very fun project.
http://dragondark.us/projects/wv8/case.html
EngravingArtist.com
Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Copper

Steve,

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to get the sharpener to make life easier. What size/style blank do you use with it? The blank I've tried to cut the proper angles on is 3/16 HSS. Granted, I just wanted to see if I could make a few lines in some brass, but I found I spent a couple hours playing with it and making some ugly lines. When I went to find info, I saw your site and gained a little hope that I could actually learn it.

Thanks for the encouragement on the V8, those are long term projects.:willy_nilly:

Thanks again for the help!
Rob
Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Rob, The sharpener is setup for the 3/32" square graver blanks. http://www.airgraver.com/graver-blanks.htm

How many of the V8s are you making at one time? Did you machine several blocks out at once?
Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Copper

Steve,

I making three of them at the same time. It's easier to make repeat cuts while the machines are set up than to re-setup the machines three times.

I think one might look good with a little decoration on the cases when I'm done. what do you think?

Rob
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V
Steve,

I think one might look good with a little decoration on the cases when I'm done. what do you think?

Rob
That would be very cool. :yesnod:
EngravingArtist.com
Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Copper

Steve,

I'd appreciate it if I could take you up on that handle in post #29. I'm getting ready to place an order for the sharpener and blanks, but I doubt they would fit the handle on my home made stuff.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Hi Rob, Okay, no problem. You got it! Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Copper

Sounds good, but where could I get these from ... Maybe a website if you could let me know , thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 AM
Copper

Would I be able to find the handle and graver at maybe a Home Depot or maybe Do It Center?? Thanks again
Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator

I see the wood graver handles on ebay. Looks like the going price is around $3.
Ebay search
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Gold

Steve I have Lynton McKenzie's videos and have been reviewing them the past week. If I remember correctly he buys four sizes of square blanks and makes all his chisels from just those. He brings all his information down to the basic, simple very understandable level.
cassie
Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Copper

Hello everyone.

I'm a n00b with an art degree and and an interest in starting a new hobby (read "obsession"). When I saw this post title "Inexpensive way to give it a try" it seemed perfect.

Anyway, just want to say "Greetings!", and I'm looking forward to reading through the forum and hopefully trying my hand at the gorgeous art/craft of engraving.

Blessings!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Copper

novice at engraving. have scratched lines with gravers, but with little control. Interested in learning ro use my gravers better and to be able to understand what engraving techniques were used to produce specific results.

Sam Whitley
Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Copper

I started my training in engraving from 92 to 94 in Cuba and then in Russian from 96 to 99 so I have been engraving for over 17 years. I have a pretty good idea what engraving is.
I need to know if there is a place in Miami, or close to the area where I can take a look at the pieces and the way they work. I am very enthusiastic about this Idea and I am willing to add it to my career, but I need to have more detais about this purchase and the way they work.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucha View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm a n00b with an art degree and and an interest in starting a new hobby (read "obsession"). When I saw this post title "Inexpensive way to give it a try" it seemed perfect.

Anyway, just want to say "Greetings!", and I'm looking forward to reading through the forum and hopefully trying my hand at the gorgeous art/craft of engraving.

Blessings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwhitley View Post
novice at engraving. have scratched lines with gravers, but with little control. Interested in learning ro use my gravers better and to be able to understand what engraving techniques were used to produce specific results.

Sam Whitley
Welcome Mucha and Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylaijuan View Post
I started my training in engraving from 92 to 94 in Cuba and then in Russian from 96 to 99 so I have been engraving for over 17 years. I have a pretty good idea what engraving is.
I need to know if there is a place in Miami, or close to the area where I can take a look at the pieces and the way they work. I am very enthusiastic about this Idea and I am willing to add it to my career, but I need to have more detais about this purchase and the way they work.
Hi mylaijuan, Jerry here on the forum is from Florida. There are several others I believe also. Jerry, if you see this post, how far is Miami from you?
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Copper

Steve, if the offer from earlier in the thread still stands I would be happy to take you up on it. I would love to give a little bit of engraving a try. If not, I was just wondering if you have any advice on a cheap way for a beginner to get their feet wet. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Hi Yar89, Recently I have added a manual graver and sharpening kit to the handgravers.com website... $187
It is about half way down on this page link: http://www.handgravers.com/Engraving_Tools_Overview.htm

EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Steel

> I would like to know how I can get materials and hand-gravers to practice and eventually use in my guitar construction.

I appreciate that Steve is generous with his time - I also appreciate that he's in the business of selling gravers, so if he deletes this I won't argue. Old fashioned hand gravers and handles are sold at jeweler's supply houses. Some of them also sell copper, brass and silver (and gold) sheet and shapes. There are also many new gravers on ebay.. Some major US suppliers are Gesswein, Stuller (wholesale only on jewelry but I think not tools) Shorinternational and Rio Grande is big in Albuquerque but they don't have online sales. As for how to sharpen and use them, I leave that to this forum as it does a fine job of that..
Old 03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Thanks jjdon, No problem. I had recommended the wood handles on ebay a few posts back too (post #38). They go for $3. Click for ebay search.

I sent out some wood handled gravers for no charge earlier in the thread with the uniform-parallel point and a copper plate. However, people were having a hard time resharpening it. The template based sharpener is helpful to get the same point sharpened back on, since there is no guess work with the angles. The sharpener with one diamond bench stone is $128. For getting started they could purchase a $3 wood handle, drill a hole in the front end of the wood handle for installing a graver and then pick up the sharpener if they are having trouble sharpening points consistently.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay View Post
Welcome Mucha and Sam!

Hi mylaijuan, Jerry here on the forum is from Florida. There are several others I believe also. Jerry, if you see this post, how far is Miami from you?
I just saw this post. I am only an hour or so away from Miami, depending on how far South he is.

Mark
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Copper

nevermind
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Copper

Hello All,
I saw Your power engraver on You-Tube and was Interested in engraving alot of years ago and bought some hand gravers to try My hand at the art of engraving , but lost interest and gave the tools to My Son hoping He may become Interested But------.I'm 76 years Young and may try again .
Thank You for a very Interesting hobby and God Bless all Don Wandrei
Closed Thread