Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,494. Welcome to our newest member, Scott Morisato
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default Sharpening templates

Dario's bulino and Roland's inlay sharpening templates are cut out and finished. Currently there are nine templates in all.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: Sharpening templates

Wauw, that is quite a collection in such a short time!
I have 2 already so only 8 to go if I want them all.
Or 7, Phill Cogan's template seems to be the same angle as the detailing template. Is the angle a lot different? Or could you just flatten the point of the detailing one just a bit to have one template for the both? Or the other way around?
I definetly want to get the 70degree one!

One question more,
What graver material would be the best for some of the templates?
I can imagine that some template's would not be good for carbide or carbalt gravers. Any suggestions on that part?

Great to see the Template family growing

Daniel
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Platinum

Hey Steve, how about some sort of price break on a complete package of all the templates less the one that comes with the stones.I love the standard graver and have used it for lines,curves,inlay,and background removal but I sure would like to see what can be accomplished with these other geomitries.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Gold

Nice, how tricky is that round point to do?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Platinum

Beautiful collection
I'm happy because this has been possible with the help of several engraver in the world.
In Belgium, the motto is "unity is strength"
Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Steel

Steve,
I have not been able to find a link to purchase. Please advise.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Gold

Steve,

The collection is growing! How about the 90 degree and the 120 degree, 45 face and 15 heel we talked about last month? I would really love to add those to my sharpening system!!! Keep up the great work.

Mark
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Hi Mark, Yes, I can still do a 120.

Hi Daniel, The detailing point would be just a little wider than Phil's and Dario's bulino templates. You could use the detailing point for a bulino but the long grinds on the bottom would be too high. You could lower them by using a stone higher than 1/2". The heel height on the detailing is 17 and you'd want it to be around 5 degrees. Of course if using the detailing template to make a bulino like this don't use the second small template that came with the set.

I sharpened a carbalt and sent it to Phil when I sent a prototype template to him. I didn't think it would hold but it seemed while I was testing it. Phil, is that carbalt holding up or would it be better to make these from M42 or HSS?

Generally when selecting what graver material to use for a point select the hardest (rockwell) you can that doesn't break because of the shape. For carbalt/carbide 90 degrees or wider should be ok. Although even 90 degrees is border line if it is to stand up to that narrow of V, so you may want to use M42 or HSS for that. The 70 degree bulino should definitely be made from M42 or HSS and the same if making a slim knife edge flat graver with the flat/knife combo template.

Hi Mcahron, The introductory price of $45 off is still in effect if purchasing all four stones with the fixture. I haven't thought about other discounts for all the templates. But how about a forum members specal? Something like order five or more additional templates (not including the universal since it comes with the $89 fixture) and receive $20 off.

Pat, Yes, the round point is a little tricky to sharpen. It is easier with the template but you still have to rub an even amount to get the round shape you want. Depending how much you rub you can make a large radius or a small one. The small template does the main shaping of the round and the large template places a heel on it. When placing the heel on you need to be careful to just barely swipe it around the curve of the template so you get just a small heel. A magnifier or scope would definitely be handy when sharpening a round point.

I will update the sharpening page on the handgravers site and also add the new templates to the order form later today. For the "forum special" decribed above there is a space on the order form to type in a note. On the order form check off 5 or more templates in one order and ask for the "$20 off forum special". Also type in your forum login name. Something like this:
Optional note: My forum login name is ____, I would like $20 off since I'm ordering 5 or more templates in one order.
The forum special will run until Nov 15th, 2008.

Steve
Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Platinum

Awsome deal Steve.I'll think about which five to order and place an order tomorrow.You never fail to amaze me with your desire to help people both with offering the best tools money can buy at a very competitive price and by offering so much in the ways of knowledge,tutorials,and other free instruction.In a world where sales and money are put above all else it's great to see someone put people first.None of this is meant as butt kissing.I just want you to know that I as well as many others appreciate all you do.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Thank you Mcahron for you kindness
The sharpener and order pages are now updated with the new templates.
Steve
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Copper

My question is can you sharp a chisel with this temples? I want to learn from the beginning you know h&c but I don't know how to sharp the tools can you guys help me.

Thank you
Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Platinum

yes you can sharp a chisel you need a graver blanks a template with the point that you want use the graver sharpening system and a chisel handle check the online shop catalog for prices
Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Copper

Ok but those blank work to engrave hard metal to because I want to focus in hard metals like guns and knives
Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Copper

Hey mrthe

I I was looking at your work and you do some prety nice coins. is it hard to learn how to engrave coins?
And how difficult is to learn how to use the hammer and chicel?
I have some experience fallowing lines because I use to do tattoos. I Think that will help me a lot because by doing tattoos I have to learn the proper deep of the nettle and how to fallow the outline of the drawing. I do like to draw I consider my self like intermedium when it comes to drawing.
Is thear any advice that you can give me so I can keep practicing. The reason I want to Learn how to use the h&c is because I love the engraving art and I know it hard to learn how to use them and because I dont want to do fast work I want to learn the true art of engraving. After I learn the good way I want to buy a air graver to the difference
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum

Hi Dreamer,

Did you see this great link and Tutor that Mrthe did on engraving a Hobo??

Just fantastic,
Check it out

LINK:

http://engravingforum.com/showthread...+nickle&page=3

AirAmp
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum

Dreamer,

Steve's templates are the best for not only beginners but for everyone engraving since you have to sharpen often especally in steel engraving.

This template system makes keeping your gravers sharp super easy.. (so you can cut more and sharpen less).

Starting out a 90 Degree (also called a square) and a flat are both a good start for practice plates. (both for hammer and chisel and pnumatic tools like the airgraver).

Later you can get more of the custom templates (cool ones) but the very basic are the square and flat.

AirAmp
Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Steel

Unhappy Re: Sharpening templates

Hello All,

I am just beginning to learn the sharpening techniques with the various templates that came with my Palm Control sharpening kit. There was also great video up on Steve's Facebook page that helped me a LOT. But I do have questions about them. (If this is the wrong forum, please let me know, and I will post elsewhere)

Firstly, as I am engraving along and find my cuts are not as crisp, I assume I need to stop & sharpen up my graver, (as I did with the old hand gravers). Do I need to go through the entire sharpening routine from beginning to end to just "touch up" the edge of the graver face? Is there a "quick step" I can take to just freshen up the edge? What is the general consensus in this situation?

2) I learned in school, with my old hand engravers, to use a microfiber paper to put a mirror finish on the face my gravers. I now have the sharpening kit with all the grits of diamond "stones" or "hones" to sharpen with. Would it be helpful at all to use the microfiber paper after sharpening with the diamond hones, or is it not necessary or helpful when using the diamond sharpeners rather than the old stone ones?

3) My sharpening kit came with four varieties of sharpening jigs for four different graver shapes. Are there any images somewhere on the site that will show the actual cuts that can be made with these jigs, and can someone make a recommendation for what shape graver to use in different situations, i.e. for different cuts, or on different metals? I typically engrave on sterling, fine silver & copper (if that even matters).

4) My new Palm Control graver came with two different material graver blanks. The Lindsay-MA42 and the Lindsay-CarbaltXD. My understanding is that the CarbaltXD is perhaps a little stronger/harder(?) than the MA42? Is one used primarily on hardened steel as opposed to softer metals? Would the CarbaltXD hold an edge better than the other, thereby requiring less sharpening no matter that I am engraving on non-ferrous metals?

5) Typically with my old hand gravers I used a honing oil, water or spittle on my stones while sharpening. Should the diamond hones also be whetted in some way to keep friction/heat down? The FB video did not show the use of any type of lubricant applied to the diamond hones. Would a lubricant extend the life of the hones and also keep friction heat off the graver at the same time?

6) My old hand gravers came in several different shapes & varying widths. Each made unique looking cuts, particularly the round & flat varieties, and were used in different situations. I used the rounded ones often for decorative lines in silver flower petals because I liked the look of the cuts they made. The rounds also made very nice cuts for "gypsy set" type prongs when flush setting a stone. Is there a listing somewhere of recommended graver shapes to use for different purposes.

I now have the Palm Control graver, which I LOVE by the way, and I am learning that air gravers are very different than my old hand gravers. Any recommendations for the style & shape graver for differing cuts with an air graver, particularly when used in gem setting & jewelry making, would be very helpful to me.

Okay, I think that is all I can think of for now. I know I have an awful lot of questions and any answers someone might provide me would save me hours of investigative work. Although I would love to just sit down to learn & work it all out on my own, I just don't have a ton of time to do so right now. And often when I teach myself something, I can end up doing things totally wrong and then have to learn it all over again correctly. Thank You in advance for any recommendations anyone could give!

Happy New Year!
Teresa Perry
Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Steel

Okay, Goober me..... I did some more reading of the sharpening instructions on the website, and it does state you can freshen up the tip face really quick, so I found that answer.

Please disregard that question. I have pretty much read the rest of the forums, and am learning a lot. Also I have downloaded a great many of the free e-books offered, and in addition to much needed practice, I have a lot of reading to do.

I could still use recommendations for graver shapes used for specific tasks, and any other advice one could provide for me concerning my other questions.

Thank You,
Teresa
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Teresa, No Goober for you! I'll give you a call in a few minutes and try and help with some of the questions.

If you have a lot of tanged shaped gravers that you like and have been using for stone setting, then you could grind the tang back on those gravers so that they fit into the tool hole of the PalmControl.

Here is a chart showing pros and cons of the HSS, M42 and Carbalt graver materials:

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Steel

I love the chart! Thank You Steve! I don't know how I missed it, I thought I read your entire site, .

It's awesome that I can grind the other graver tangs to fit my palm control, too. I will definitely have to play with that and also the other shapes to see what I like the best for which cuts I want to do. I will definitely be grinding several of the older ones. The only hand graver I could see leaving as a manual graver would probably be my #4 Onglette which I use for cleaning up around a set stone. I would have more control using it by hand and be less likely to bump a facet with a hardened tool edge.

Sorry I had to cut our conversation short last night, I was on my way out the door, but you did clear a lot of my questions. Talk about exceptional service!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Steel

Steve, What template would you recommend to get around figures & edges of borders after removing background to give a deeper effect?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Hi Garcia, I do it the other way around. In other words, I use the same V graver I used to cut the outlines (in my case the 116 universal) by recutting to deepen the outline V cuts where background is going to be removed. Then use a flat to cut out background. If trimming up the edges of a raised gold figure and it is desired to have a more straight down edge you can use a narrower V graver (like Mrthe's 50 degree) or even the edge of the flat/knife point.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Steel

Thanks Steve. Every small change helps. I will try Mrthes 50 degree template.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Platinum

Steve,

I prefer Carbalt for scroll and fine cutting such as game scenes etc it keeps it's edge for much longer periods, I do however sharpen the face by hand and not with the template it's much quicker.

Phil
Old 04-23-2017, 04:20 AM
Copper

Hi folks,
Apologize for the ignorant question.
I have Steve's knife and flat combo template, and now I'd like to try Ray Cover's geometry to make a bright cut graver. In that regard, I have a couple of questions:

1. If I buy Ray's small taper template, do I need to also get his bright cut template too? It looks pretty much like Steve's large knife/flat combo template.

2. This may be a bit off topic... what would you recommend to use for a bright cut?

I'd appreciate any advice!
Thank you!
Gene
Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Hi Gene,
1: Yes, you would need Ray's small template too. But yes, the flat knife large template is basically the same. But the small template on the flat/knife is slightly tapered so that if desired the bottom could be ground to a knife edge.
2: For bright cut I use the calligrapy template and/or the 116 degree universal. You can roll/lay the graver over to one side or the other for the bright cuts. With the parallel heels on these it is in effect two gravers put together in a V.

I am using the 116 degree for the lettering of the gold and silver flutes in these videos. For the cuts in the BBC logo I'm laying/rolling the 123 degree calligraphy over.
http://engravingschool.com/private/videos.htm
Some more info here:
http://engravingschool.com/private/B...0Engraving.htm
to add to that last link I have 3000 diamond bench stones as well as 2000 available. They weren't available at the time that last link was written. I'd still recommend the 50,000 mesh diamond concentrate spray or paste.. on ceramic or cast-iron, or I have even use plastic to place the diamond on. With the plastic I think it must very very slightly round the cutting or facet. The result is I believe the cutting edge is also burnishing some too.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Copper

Thank you, Steve!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Steel

Whichever graver you use, the higher the polish on the graver, the more mirror-finish will be the bright cut.

Best regards,
Doug
Old 04-23-2017, 11:58 PM
Copper

Thanks Doug!
btw, I spent many years in SD before recently moving to AZ

Gene
Old 07-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Copper

What is the sequence of using the small and large templates for sharpening the flat and knife combo graver?
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Hi Brian, Use the small template first to taper and get the width of flat you are wanting. Then go to the large template to place the face and heel on. You can go back to the small if you want to narrow the width more.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Copper

thanks Steve. The pictures of the templates with the use this side by the numbers is great... many thanks,

Brian
Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Platinum

Could someone post a couple photos of a graver sharpened with the round template? I've never used a round and would like to be able to reproduce a plate similar to this.bigsby plaque.jpg,, Help Please!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Gold

I would bet that plate was cut on a pantograph, not hand engraved.
Notice the radius corners on the ends of the lines.
I suppose you could cut something similar with a round graver, but why try to replicate a machine?
That is a question, not a criticism. I'm curious.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Steel

If your cutting a softer metal what I would use is a beading tool with the tip sharpened on a 45 degree angle. I use these all the time when cutting silver, gold or soft brass. And the fact that they come in a lot of different sizes is a plus.

Allan