Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Platinum

Default addicted to power

Yesterday I came into my studio and when I flicked on my Lindsay foot controlled unit discovered the air compressor was dead! I have a six gallon Silentaire compressor as I work in my jewelry store and can't have the racket of an inexpensive compressor. It's five years old now. So I got out the manual and referring to the wiring diagram proceeded to follow the power into the machine. At a place called the terminal box I found a completely fried hot wire connection. I cut of the burned end off and solder spliced on an extension wire and reattached the screw down connector. It fired back up thankfully.
I realized though that there was no way I wanted to engrave without the power. I had a silver cup to engrave with about 20 letters and realized just how much more work hand pushing would have been at that point in time. I spent 20 years hand pushing but couldn't imagine trying to make money doing it that way anymore. It was like being in the lawn care business and having your power mower go out when you have a 4 acre yard to mow and nothing but a non motorized push mower to do it with. I called the Silentaire manufacturer but they had no explanation other than maybe a weak connection to begin with.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Platinum

Default Re: addicted to power

I understand where you are coming from. When I engraved with a Gravermeister I still did a lot of hand pushed detail. Since I got my Lindsay PC I have no use for anything else.

CRB
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Gold

A Linsay classic PC will do that to a engraver every time:[1]: Jack
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Platinum

How about a CO2 back up source, Steve has regulators for the paintball cylinders and welding supply stores carry several sizes of CO2 at reasonable fees, Just my 2cents Dave
Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Platinum

My foot controlled unit seems to require quite a large volume of air to maintain power. The 6 gallon tank goes on frequently (about every 30 minutes) during use to maintain tank pressure. CO2 would probably not be practical for the foot control unit. I would probably run out and get a $125 rackety compressor in a pinch and use that as back up.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Platinum

I get the standard 8 - 10 hrs run time on a 20oz CO2 tank with my foot controlled Classic. I don't even have the hook up to run it off of my compressor

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album