Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,494. Welcome to our newest member, Scott Morisato
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Gold

Default TW Designs Diamond Power Hone almost free to a good home

As hopefully we all know the TW Designs Diamond Power Hone is in a constant state of evolution, to be one of the best is not easy. Today we offer a hone with a new custom motor I designed just for the TW Designs hone delivering nearly 2 times the torque, a reverse option and also leather laps and diamond polishing compounds, something not offered just a short time ago.
In order to evolve the hone to todays model many changes had to be built and tested. Many years ago I sent Steve Lindsay unit number 2 for his testing and it was given his approval but was also obsolete by the time I made unit number 4, I recently sent him a new unit to test that has seen many changes.
Today while working on a hone destined for Australia I noticed a piece of history on my daily engraving work bench. It was a very early hone that has sharpened thousands of carbalt and high speed gravers and been rebuilt many times for testing my new ideas.
I have recently built myself a new hone using a newly designed high torque motor and with the reverse function. Now my old daily use and test unit is just setting there so I thought of scavenging it for parts,, then I remembered my own past and my own struggles!!!!!!
I would like someone to make use of this machine for only the price of shipping. It will work world wide, just know overseas shipping will be higher.
I very well know from personal experience that starting into engraving can be costly. I began engraving because I wanted my own guns to look nice, to be engraved and I could not pay what it would cost. I saved and purchased a Lindsay airgraver, BTW possibly the best purchase of my life. I sharpened by hand for hours and hours from a carbalt blank, so by my own need the first high speed power hone came into being. Now many thousands of engraving hours later and several hundreds of hone modifications here I am way too busy for my own good between engraving, transfer products, and sharpening equipment I don't have much down time.
Well enough rambling I want someone with heart and desire to have this evolutionary piece of machinery, it has extra holes in the case, an older generation motor, the latest dc control board, the latest 10 turn speed control, and a new old stock 2 sided disk with 180 and 2200 grit. The disc height is NOT adjustable it will only work with the Lindsay templates.

I don't want sob stories anyone can make those up please tell me what engraving means to you, why you feel the way you do.
If you think engraving is your road to riches and wealth please do NOT waste my time because without HEART for what you are doing you are wasting my time and yours as well. Ask any GOOD respected engraver they will tell you without HEART, PASSION, or DESIRE, you will surely fail. If it is about the money you think you're going to make you're in the wrong place, please understand money is to be had but only, and I repeat only if you prove yourself and have the heart to be the BEST!!!!!! You can post here, what I would like to know is how you feel about or why you engrave. BTW the website is not updated with current photos or option pricing sorry for any inconvenience.
Tom White
http://TWDesignshone.com

Old 07-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Steel

Default Re: TW Designs Diamond Power Hone almost free to a good home

Tom White,

I love engraving, I've always had passion to create beautiful work. After Mike Fennell let me use his PC at the Hot Shop where he was demoing. I could see that that instrument would let me do more. I was using hammer and chisel of which I made and a turn table stand I also made. I don't intend to get rich but to have others enjoy what I engrave and created. I enjoy doing engraving and was finally able to get Steve's Classic package. I love to try to recreates what mother nature gives us to look at. I hope I'm worth of receiving your great gift.

Wayne Grulke
Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Gold

Wow!
It always amazes me, the generosity of true artists and inventors.
Fantastic offer Mr White.
Kudos to you!

I am not in need of a sharpener, I use the faceting machine I built years ago to grind my tools with Lindsay templates.
Also, I am sure there are very deserving and creative people out there who are struggling to make ends meet.
Hopefully your gift will help someone along the way to engraving nirvana.

I just wanted to Thank you, and Steve for being so good to your customers.
Jim Jordan

Last edited by MoldyJim; 07-10-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Steel

Hi Tom,

I am primarily a hobo nickel carver and die cutter/coiner, making tokens for various events. I started carving coins in 2001 with two ground down drill bits stuck in corks and a nickel glued to a piece of plywood. I have since moved on to hammer and chisel engraving and a LOT of home made tools, including the MacGraver, a 555 timer controlled Mac valve air pulse machine and a power hone made from a cordless drill motor and 90 degree drill adapter. The hone is kept at the American Numismatic Associations headquarters where I teach hobo nickel carving at their Summer Seminar. Your hone would be a decided improvement over what I currently use and would be greatly appreciated by my students who aren't thrilled with the shrill wine of my current hone.
Thanks for considering me!
Joe Paonessa
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Here is a video while I was checking out TW Design's new hone. It is very smooth and quiet. Click the arrow in the middle of the photo to start the video.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Steel

Hello Tom, I started in the jewelry business in 1999 when i was 18 years old. spent a couple years grinding sprues off of castings and sweeping floors , worked my way up to diamond setting, where i discovered the hand push graver was my favorite tool and used it for almost everything. I started playing around with a little engraving and fell in love. Now even after an 8 hour day at work with my lindsay classic in hand, I still love to go home and carve up some nickels and some wonky looking scrolls on practice plates. I don't do it for money, just for fun and personal satisfaction. Your power hone would be a welcome addition to my collection of tools. Congrats to whoever Tom and Steve picks!
Anthony Saldana
Old 07-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Platinum

Tom
MTC a donation to the ANA hobo nickels class,
Old 07-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Steel

Hello good people because it really is.
I've been watching this forum for quite a long time.
I'm collecting every coin for buying a air graver and a ball vise. I am almost reach my goal. With these would certainly be a Rocket Start.
Thanks and, a good luck for everyone.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Platinum

Hi Mr.White
A noble gesture indeed it will be much appreciated by the deserving person ,I am sure.
My compliments sir.
SE
Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Copper

Actually, I don't deserve it as much as most out there.. I am just posting my first time... I whittled, and carved wood for years... Just a grunt living in the woods, deserts, and jungles throughout the world... I sold some of my stuff to art stores and folks that liked it while I was in the Army. I retired from the military back in 2007.. Years of humping the brush and jumping out of airplanes takes its toll... I just got my first hip replacement tthree months ago... While healing up, I couldn't carve inside the house (the wife)... So I started doing sceimshaw.. That got me looking on these sights, looking at techniques. I became enamored with the engraving side, looking for a way to speed up the scrimshaw work... Now I am hooked on engraving metal, and am gathering tools... I really like doing this.. It's turned into my zen time... I'm still a cherry though.. In fact the one good graver I made, popped off my graver handle tonight, and I can't find the damn thing now... I made some other gravers... But I am shaping them by hand right now... And "yep"... I'm so new, I built them using Linsey's template, but put the face upside down... Took me two days to figure out what I did wrong... So give it to someone who is further along than me... I just thought I would share, so that other guys who are starting don't feel like they are alone out here... I'm thing of starting a "every mistake you can make engraving page"... I'm figuring out that following instructions to the "t" is crucial when starting out... So thanks to all you generous folks, I am learning a lot.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:49 PM
Copper

Engraving moves me into a place where time becomes irrelevant. The cares surrounding me at other times slowly melt away and all that matters is placing the next dot at the right depth, spacing and place. I'm getting better and thankfully there is so much to this art that it will continue to intrigue and challenge me until my hands no longer assist me as I desire.

My goal is to produce a piece of work that is immediately recognized as beautiful, something touching the observer so they reflexively take a deep breath, look with more intensity, then smile. This will take years and perhaps it won't be realized but because it is such a peaceful exercise requiring my entire focus the journey will be a joy, seldom frustrating but never a burden.

It is my unique path to inner peace that only the act of creating can provide me.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:12 AM
Gold

I have been practising engraving for just over four years now.
I find personal growth in my skills very gratifying and strongly believe that if you are given talents in life you have a duty towards the Creator to use those talents to the best of your ability. If not, you are wasting your life with mediocrity. Even if you can inspire just one person in your life to cultivate their skills, your life will be meaningful.
To be able to inspire your fellow man is the greatest goal that any man can achieve. From inspiration rises many good traits like dedication, patience, creation, love and peace. Traits the world desperately needs in the age we live in.
I aspire to create art and craft that will inspire my fellow man and engraving is becoming a big part of my work that will outlast me by many a lifetime.
That is my wish; to be able to grow as an artist to instill inspiration.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:59 AM
Steel

I have had a passion to do this beautiful work for many years now. I have been an artist all my life, doing signs, air brushing and relief carving to name a few. I love the beautiful firearms and knives, but also love the beautifully engraved jewelry. I work full time at the Maine LL Bean store selling firearms and have my own art business at home along with 4 Brittany's that require my attention most of my free time. I started gathering the different tools to do this fine engraving (i have a few high speed air engravers) many years ago, purchasing used equipment as I could afford them and have watched many engraving videos. If I could afford to take the time I would love to go to one of the schools to get some hands on training. My biggest learning curve is the sharpening, it seems to come easy to all of you accomplished engravers but for me I seem to hit a wall when it comes to understanding it and getting the gravers correct. The power hone seems to be the way to go and looks like it would make all the difference. My art is a passion and what little money (you are right, it is not about the money) I do make goes right back into my tools and equipment, without the proper equipment and education it is a struggle. I never went to art school, I am originally from a small town in Maine (Jackman) where I was the art class in school. Everything I have learned has been self taught through watching others. My dream is to do beautiful engraving like some of you fantastic engravers out there. I may not get to that level before my time here is over but I will at least try. God Bless you all Maine Nature Art www.mainenatureart.com
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Gold

Hi Tom, I started engraving about 5 years ago after running across Steve's website some time before that. I thought it was some of the most beautiful work I had ever seen.... the level of skill and craftsmanship that it takes to achieve that kind of work to me is astounding and something to strive towards. I have always had a desire to draw and work with my hands and have been learning since. I have been fortunate to have met several FEGA members and have been able to look at their work, my goal is to be able to achieve and accomplish that level of beauty and craftsmanship... maybe one day to earn the title of FEGA Master(not for the title) but to be acknowledged as to having achieved and learned the skill it takes to do such work.

Sincerely
Jeff Miller
Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Copper

Wow! Extraordinary generosity! I started carving coins in March 2017. I began after viewing some on Pinterest while searching for Tiki carving ideas. I was immediately drawn to the medium. Of course when I started out I sucked big time! I tried to create my own tools after watching some videos on Youtube. I was able to have a compressor, but I figured out I needed to invest in real tools to be able to create the kind of coins I want. This hone would be a great addition to my workshop. Again, whether I get it or not, I appreciate your generosity!

SteveOrino
Old 07-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Copper

First off, let me say this is a very generous thing you're doing. Myself, I started carving wood with mallet and gouges. While in the service, I took up woodworking and my passion for creating evolved to cabinetry and furniture. After rrtirement I set up my own wood shop, my products paying for my tools. But, the infirmities of age have rolled in and I can't lift or bend like I used to. I had to give up the wood. Sold all of my shop tools.
But I needed some artistic outlet. I have always been fascinated with the looks of carved jewelry and engraved guns. I looked into the practice and bought a ccouple of diesinkers chisels, then later a few gravers. I worked hammer and chisel for quite a while before I knew I was ready to move up to a pneumatic engraver. I bought an Artisan and a few points. I am learning to use it and can see how quickly a piece can be done. I do notice that the points need to be re-honed a few times during a project. The power hone would help me immensely.
I am not engraving to make money, but am doing it for my own pleasure and to make gifts for friends and family. Please consider me for this.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Copper

Hello, Tom and Steve
Wow I like to thank you for giving us this opportunity to win this device that you have engineered to the best of ur abilities, I myself have been engraving off and on for 35 years with push engravers and dremels, working with my Dad most of those years in the emboss industry,my dad put a graver in my hand at the age of 11, bcoz he said I needed to develop patience and a skill of my own,I didn't understand at that time, but as I am now in my later years, i am grateful and thankful. I have always had the desire and ambition to want to use my creatives in the art of engraving, and now I am Ready.I have been working so hard to save my money to afford to buy the Lindsay engraving tools I need, and having ''this TWD Diamond Power Hone would be a blessing. 😎D.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Copper

Hi Tom and thank you for the opportunity. I picked up carving hobo nickels something like 6 years ago. As I pushed through figuring out all the in and outs of carving metal, I started loving the craft. I wanted to expand my abilities to doing more. I worked with limited tools and hand push for a good four years. I started getting a name and recognition. I have been in the arts since well before I can remember. Engraving is the first thing I have ever done where people started appreciating my work. It became a passion where my life was consumed by my next design. Hobo nickels took me to engraving rings and jewelry. I have been a professional goldsmith for 15 years and developing the ability to engrave, though I feel there is still so much more for me to learn, gave me an edge in my field locally. I'm still learning and will always be learning but can't wait to see where it leads me. Thank you.
Robbie Morris
Old 07-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Copper

Send a message via Skype™ to htandb

Tom, your offer is very generous to the community, so thank you. I find that your question isn't as simple as it would seem, and I'm sure many here feel the same way.

I've been engraving now for about 15 years, I love the art and beauty of creation, but I think that more than that it gave me an outlet that was completely different than my everyday life. I recently retired from the military after 20+ years, I went a lot of places and did a lot of different things, and sometimes I wasn't too happy about where I was or what I was doing. When I would deploy I would leave the majority of my "normal" life behind me, often for a year or more... however if you throw a micro-block, a few QC gravers and a sharpening stone into your bag you have a bit of instant sanity. For me engraving is and always will be an escape where I can step back from the world around me and focus on a single square inch of space and become completely absorbed by it. I found that when surrounded by chaos, taking even 15 or 20 minutes to focus really helps to restore a bit of balance to life. I guess that's the sort answer to the question - I engrave because it kept, and keeps me balanced.

I hope that you find a good home for your hone. I can't say that I really need a one, I think I do fine with templates and stones and when I have heavy work to do I have an old flat-lap that can do the trick. I do want to thank you for posing the question though, because until this point I hadn't really thought too much about the "why". The easy answer has always been because I love it, but there is much more to it than that and in many ways it has become an integral piece of my life.

Cheers!

Ryan
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Copper

Hi Tom. I first became aware of the beauty of engraving when I saw a book on medieval astrolabes. I was in graduate school at UCSD and didn't have time, money, nor space to take up the craft. Fast forward 10 years and I started collecting the pieces. First I bought an old used GRS Gravermeister. Next I scoured eBay for old used gravers / burens and eventually had a whole box full. Then I bought a thick sheet of glass with adhesive sandpaper to sharpen my gravers and learned the angles, etc, which would give me reasonable cuts with both my mechanical engraving machine and also by hand.

Somewhere along the line I discovered Lindsay's website and purchased a complete set of templates and the sharpening stones. My engraving jumped to the next level, but I still hadn't made anything of note, just trinkets, pendants, etc which I gave away as I completed them. Then a friend mentioned an event with a medieval theme and asked if I'd like to enter anything artistic. I thought about it and decided I'd finally try the astrolabe. I printed out the intricate plans I'd drafted on my computer, transferred them to brass sheet, and started. 100+ hours later, I had a functional astrolabe, and people at the arts event were completely bowled over by it.

Now, 5 or 6 years later, I still do purely artistic / jewelry / wearable pieces. I continue to use the Gravermeister (note that I *am* saving up for a Classic PC), and my Lindsay sharpening system is still going strong, though the 600 grit stone is more like a 1000 grit after years of use. I love my craft, and all of my pieces are given away, both to friends and to charitable organizations which disperse them to deserving individuals.

The one item that I've always wanted but never had the funds to purchase was a quality power hone. I have a dozen or so sets of templates for Lindsay's sharpening system and I am not averse to a little elbow grease, but I know that the addition of a hone would take my skills to another level by allowing me to keep my gravers sharp instead of going until I break a tip, and I'd have the time to play with the templates and try other geometries. And through it all the passing years haven't made it any easier. I'm in my 50's now and looking forward to another 20 years of engraving, but some tasks do take their toll.

Thanks for encouraging me to write this. Engraving is a solitary task and I don't often get to talk about it to my friends and acquaintances.

Yours,
Doug
Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Copper

Mr. White, Mr. Lindsay,
I am not writing this to offer a reason why I should receive your generosity, rather to thank both of you for all your dedication and hard work. I know what putting others first means to me. Not so much a sacrifice but a satisfaction. I have been teaching in a high school for 35 years now, retired four years ago and couldn't stand to be away from my kids so I came back that following year, didn't miss a beat. Still teaching airbrush, no regrets. I have recently found that because of constant trigger action throughout the years I am loosing the use of my trigger finger joint. It's okay, one more fork in the road, one more problem to solve. I have always loved engraving, collected bits and pieces of the incredible artistry. I'm not sure how that would affect engraving. As with everyone else that have watched, masterful or not, it is mesmerizing. I have always strived to be as educated and the best at what I do but also have always had the philosophy of sharing everything I have ever known or will ever know with whoever will share their life's time with me. I must admit I have not purchased equipment for a few unselfish reasons. Not for the lack of desire. My grandfather and father were very quiet, simple, but life geniuses that instilled the kind of sharing and caring I have found with many people. Sorry for the rambling, this I suppose should go out to everyone that has ever taken someone under there wing, thank you all for your help and it IS appreciated. Looking forward to watching people grow.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Steel

Engraving to me, is a way to get art out in a medium much more permanent than paper. The idea that I can add a picture to a blade I forged, or even a plate that will make thousands of pictures, for other to enjoy just makes me smile. I am also saving up to buy a palm engraver, at the moment I am useing a hacked together Chinese graver, with a homade engraveing machine.

Kaitlin
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Copper

What an amazing donation to such a worthy cause! I am a working hand engraver and full time student of the craft. I will never settle for the skill level I have attained because of all the amazing work I have witnessed and seen (on here mostly!) I will strive to always further my knowledge, acquire more and better tools (which I vow to keep sharp, and transform all those carvings that swirl in my brain into real, tangible art! And oh what a friend this hone would be to all my gravers. Thank you for your kindness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
As hopefully we all know the TW Designs Diamond Power Hone is in a constant state of evolution, to be one of the best is not easy. Today we offer a hone with a new custom motor I designed just for the TW Designs hone delivering nearly 2 times the torque, a reverse option and also leather laps and diamond polishing compounds, something not offered just a short time ago.
In order to evolve the hone to todays model many changes had to be built and tested. Many years ago I sent Steve Lindsay unit number 2 for his testing and it was given his approval but was also obsolete by the time I made unit number 4, I recently sent him a new unit to test that has seen many changes.
Today while working on a hone destined for Australia I noticed a piece of history on my daily engraving work bench. It was a very early hone that has sharpened thousands of carbalt and high speed gravers and been rebuilt many times for testing my new ideas.
I have recently built myself a new hone using a newly designed high torque motor and with the reverse function. Now my old daily use and test unit is just setting there so I thought of scavenging it for parts,, then I remembered my own past and my own struggles!!!!!!
I would like someone to make use of this machine for only the price of shipping. It will work world wide, just know overseas shipping will be higher.
I very well know from personal experience that starting into engraving can be costly. I began engraving because I wanted my own guns to look nice, to be engraved and I could not pay what it would cost. I saved and purchased a Lindsay airgraver, BTW possibly the best purchase of my life. I sharpened by hand for hours and hours from a carbalt blank, so by my own need the first high speed power hone came into being. Now many thousands of engraving hours later and several hundreds of hone modifications here I am way too busy for my own good between engraving, transfer products, and sharpening equipment I don't have much down time.
Well enough rambling I want someone with heart and desire to have this evolutionary piece of machinery, it has extra holes in the case, an older generation motor, the latest dc control board, the latest 10 turn speed control, and a new old stock 2 sided disk with 180 and 2200 grit. The disc height is NOT adjustable it will only work with the Lindsay templates.

I don't want sob stories anyone can make those up please tell me what engraving means to you, why you feel the way you do.
If you think engraving is your road to riches and wealth please do NOT waste my time because without HEART for what you are doing you are wasting my time and yours as well. Ask any GOOD respected engraver they will tell you without HEART, PASSION, or DESIRE, you will surely fail. If it is about the money you think you're going to make you're in the wrong place, please understand money is to be had but only, and I repeat only if you prove yourself and have the heart to be the BEST!!!!!! You can post here, what I would like to know is how you feel about or why you engrave. BTW the website is not updated with current photos or option pricing sorry for any inconvenience.
Tom White
http://TWDesignshone.com

Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Copper

Ode to The Hone

Surprise for all Engravers, who aside from cutting art
Must profess a knack to hone, before they ever start
'Cos here's the most original, designer power-hone
But this time this one isn't, just a manufactured clone

Been out on a trip, that's making all the change
From a basic Unit One, to the highest of the range
For years it's been drilled and screwed, mantled and undone
Tried and super tested, by Tinker number one

It's been metamorphamodified, again and again
Constantly improving, to reduce us all that pain
Of scraping up our blades, in the hope of bein' in luck
To end up with a graver, that'll cut instead of suck.

So to scrap it now apart, just to gain a little space
Would hurt about as hard, as bad scratch out of place
No, instead it needs a home, where respect will be its lot
By one who senses, that with money, it just can't be got

Placed with honor at the bench, of an enthusiast
Who every spin appreciates, it's present like its past
So, Worthy would I like to be, to partner with this tool
And feel the glee of pride with, a 'Honer' just this cool!

Hi Tom,
I'm not much of a talker on the forum, much more a reader.
Aside from studies, I'm mainly a bench jeweler. My bread'n butter's from small custom jewelry commissions. Always somehow engraved of course!
Thankfully, I'm extremely successful at making very happy clients, who in turn make me very happy with their joy. And that's about as far as it goes. I think some great master engravers have said that if you can't make great money, at least enjoy your job! Those are always the ones who are giving far more than they're taking, (and fervently hope that no-one catches on to their perfectionist-saturated, uncharted, over-the-top wee hours). I know.
I too, started from zero. That means, watching some handpushing on Youtube and wanting to do it. Then learning it. Then doing it. Then doing it (quite) nicely...!? (ever learning it though). I use my own home-made ball-vices, and until recently, I worked with an optivisor. Then I started getting lucky. And spoiled. Mom bought me the Leica A60 on the Acrobat! A friend/client bought me the new benchmate for a commission. Then I won a sum of cash and bought a gravermax (no Lindsays in my area unfortunately). I can see a brightcut future...
I'm handsharpening. It's good, because that's what I've got! I've never yet even windowshopped a hone, but Steve's clip on this thread has lit my fire...
I'm still just a small time engraver, but when I'll be big, I'm gonna be on par with the big boys! (I would promise, if I could).

Thanks for the great challenge, Tom, and thanks for the Fantastic Forum, Steve! (I just have to order some templates...!)

Best wishes and luck to y'all
Yossi
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 AM
Platinum

Such a generous offer of a beautiful tool. Kudos.
Proper sharpening is essential to any good carving.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Steel

I have the templates and am sharpening by hand already. I am engraving to add value to things I make for awards for my wife and daughters barrels racing. I do this after work. This would be a great time saver. My daughter is 11 and now has a desire every time I'm engraving to do it as well and breaks the tips off. We are a nonprofit so any little bit helps.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 AM
Copper

Hoping I am not too late on this kind gesture, as good tools are expensive. A few years ago, I invested in a tool that changed the jewelry path I was on..... a Steve Lindsay hand-engraver. I have never owned a tool that I loved more. I started just using scrap copper, then I moved into sterling silver jewelry, and have attempted one of my husband's guns, which I really enjoyed! When I pick up my Steve Lindsay hand-engraver, it is as if what I was made to do, I am doing. I am not nearly as good as I want to be, but with a good dose of God's grace and perseverance, I will get there. I love hand-engraving, plain and simple. Thank you for thinking of those of us who are just getting started.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Copper

I'm trying to get into engraving have all but a hone ,I make custom knives for about 10 years ,I have colon cancer and been taking chemo it has brought me down to nothing almost . I plain to go to a engraving class in oct if everything goes ok after the chemo .I need this hone to start a new chapter in my life .thanks for the engraving site
Old 07-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Copper

Good luck to everyone. Let me know where to send my shipping costs & address.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Steel

Don't need a hone, bought one of yours years ago and it's been a great purchase.

Just wanted to thank you for your contributions to the field with your hones and transfer products, and I think this is a great gesture on your part. I'm sure the hone will find a good home.

Best regards,
Doug
Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Gold

What a nice thing to do! Someone will be very happy and whoever it is, Iīm sure itīs deserved! :-)

I bought my Nitro many years, after paying Steve a little now and a little then, until finally it was paid. When I first got it, I didn't have much chance to use it as I didn't have the place.. so only a little now and then..

A few years ago I got married and moved to Spain. I told my wife some time ago, that my fingers was "itching" for learning something new.. I had this feeling for quite a long time. I love working with my hands, so I took out the AirGraver again, and YESSS.. thats the thing I needed!

It is pure therapy, trying to learn the scroll/acanthus design, and learning to use the graver. I try to use every free minute I have to learn and engrave..

Itīs almost hypnotic to see how it dig away the metal and how it can do this really fine beautiful lines..

Some times I go to my garage to do some work, but I always sneak in a little engraving too. I absolutely love the Lindsay Nitro G20 and the process of learning.

Beside I have some of Steves sharpening templates, but thats about it. My vice is home made, and my magnification glasses is the cheap China ones from eBay, but real ones are on my saving list :-)

I have a long way to go, and a lot to learn, but I love all the steps on the way.. :-)

Last edited by 276ccm; 07-23-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: strange sentence :-)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Steel

Dear Mr. White, it is very generous of you to make this offer, it does not surprise me though as this community as a whole is so willing to help others who are trying to learn this beautiful art form. I started my education in engraving in late2008-2009 after injuring my back while at work ,I bent down to pick up a case of oatmeal cream cookies, when I stood up I felt a pop in my lower back and immediate pain, the Docs. diagnosed a ruptured disc on top of spinal stenosis and told me I'd never work again which sent me into a deep depression. And after many hrs. of therapy , an operation and more therapy am worse off than the day of the injury. I now am very limited to what I can do physically and have to use a power chair to get around. My wife brought home a catalogue from the library one day that had a lot of pretty guns to use her words ,I looked at it and it was a FEGA catalog and some of the most beautiful engraved guns I had ever seen, I was hooked, I had to learn how to do this. I had previous art experience and thought I would learn quickly, well I did some research and came across this forum, luckily and followed some very good advice , bought the Meeks book , a hammer and gravers from brownells and quickly found out just how hard it was to even cut a straight line, it took me a month to cut a straight 2 inch line,8 years later and still learning thanks to the great people on this forum. After a lot of scrimping and saving I have been able to get an Artisan from Steve a few years ago which was fantastic, and recently I got his Palm control, phenomenal, your hone is on my list but will prob. be a few years away. I you decide on me to receive it that would be nice but if not i'll just keep on keepin on. engraving has been fantastic therapy for me, when I am cutting it takes my mind off of the pain that I have to endure 24/7 unlike the painkillers I have to take and gives me a sense of purpose. Whoever gets this will put it to good use and that is what makes it so nice, to free up that precious time you have to devote to this art, thank you , you are a generous person, Baysider
Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Copper

Hey all! I've been reading my way round the forum here for a little bit. Love the friendly vibe here. As I get more proficient, I hope to share some of my stuff as well. Working my way up to that.

Engraving to me, as with other metal work (I'm a jeweler by day and aspiring blacksmith by night), is almost a type of alchemy to me. Even knowing the science behind forming, cutting and tempering it, it's still mind boggling to me that this seemingly unforgiving lump of metal can be turned into nearly anything and then stay that way for centuries. Crazy!! Just a little bit of love and 'stick-with-it-ness' creates amazing things that people turn into heirlooms. That doesn't happen a lot anymore.

Of course that thought always brings me to the craftsmen back in the day that used the same skills we're practicing now to achieve the same end. More precise tools maybe, but the methods are the same. That's another part of engraving that I LOVE! I consider myself a collector of old skills. I've done wood and stone carving, kick wheel pottery, long bow archery and calligraphy 1)because they're fun and 2)because I can't bear the idea that these skills might be lost to time.

Looking forward to bothering you all more in the future
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Steel

Well I will start out and say this is a most generous offer and for that I am very grateful for the chance as I am certain all who seek this prize are.

I first saw an engraved gun in a gunsmithing book I ordered from the Outdoor Life book club when I was about 12. The book still holds a place on my shelf as it was that first book with photographs and instruction on all sorts of things, like checkering, carving and all sorts of custom gun work. It was from that time on that I knew one day somehow I would do this work.

It is my time at the bench, be it engraving, drawing or any sort of custom work that is my passion, it is the thing that makes hours pass by like seconds. It has lead to many cold dinners, missed meals, missed parties and but not missed in the sense of a lost opportunity or something lost but rather something given up freely to allow me to pursue my passion to spend time with my tools in my shop is what I hope any sort of afterlife is like.

I was that kid and am that adult that has no interest in football, baseball or other sports, my sole thing has been my work with guns and knives. The ability to do the type of artistic embellishment the engraver can produce is the ultimate of customization. The junction of art and craftsmanship if you will. I want to become one of those guys who, when people see my work they instantly know Its my work, I think that is one of the best complements an artist can get. Its the thing I was and am the most proud of with my dads work, he was a decoy carver and painter and people in that circle can see a decoy my dad made and recognize it as his work.

I practice daily with the hopes that some day I will be one of those guys. When you practice a lot you need to sharpen a lot. Im doing them all on stones right now, if I had to rub them on the concrete floor in my shop to get them cutting I suppose Id do that. Maybe my passion and desire comes through in my words, maybe someone else will be chosen. I know one thing, Ill keep sharpening and keep cutting. Thank you for your time and generous offer.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Copper

A very generous offer. I have built gunstocks as a hobby for 10 years. It is a great way for me to unwind from the day. I've most recently have become interested in engraving. I have started collecting tools and a hone is one of the most important pieces for me. If I don't have the templates and ability to keep sharp gravers it would become very frustrating experience. So I've been lurking on this wonderfully informative site that Mr. Lindsey has shared, an put so much time into. Thanks to both of you.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Gold

I want to thank everyone for their posts.
I have realized that this is not going to be an easy choice to make as so many of you are deserving of this machine.
Besides the posts here I have been receiving many emails from a lot of our engraving family.
I have decided to take the names of all the sincerely interested and place them in a drawing.
I will say that I am so proud and happy to learn that others than myself have a true love and passion for this art form.
I will continue to accept posts and e-mails until Aug 15th after that I will post here the new owner of the hone.
Keep posting everyone is a winner when we are willing to share ourselves!!!!!
Thanks,
Tom White
Old 08-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Copper

Hi Tom,
Passion in the art seems to me to be engraving for the love of it. I've been engraving for a couple years now, and do it almost exclusively for free. I'm also a tool guy, and have refurbished three GRS GraverMax machines. One I resold to help pay for my engraving addiction, one I use, and the other belongs to a noob that I'm helping get started. I try to cut a hobo coin every day, and have given almost all of them away. Most people want to pay me, but I figure that if I take the money it will spoil the reason I do it in the first place. I came to engraving in retirement via Tom Sterling, my teacher and flint-knapping buddy. He's the best, and he freely shares his secrets, time, and material. All he asks for is "Commitment" which I have delivered, because I have fallen in love with it. At the same time that he shares with me, he lusts for a TW Power Hone. I don't have a power hone, I use a drill press with a Lindsay arbor and templates. Tom tells me to save up and get a TW, because it's the best. He "settles" for a GRS, but won't let me do it, since he is my teacher and wants the best for me. So I have been saving up, but find it a difficult thing to feel worthy of. So I suspect that if I were the fortunate select-ee, that I would gift it to my Sensei, Tom. He can certainly put it to work in the way that it was intended. I don't know if he entered or not, but if he did, I think you should select him, and if he didn't, select me and I'll gift it to him. It would make me happy, and him ecstatic, two for the price of one....
Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Gold

Well today is 8/12/2017 and I wanted to revive this post as the hone will have a new owner in 3 more days.
Thanks to all who have shared a bit about their own reasons for loving engraving. If you haven't posted you still have time.

Thanks,

Tom White
Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Copper

Good luck to all! Fingers crossed!
jamie.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Copper

Long story made as short as possible...I was a professional wildlife illustrator since 1977 showing in some of Houston's finest galleries but only sold 3-4 paintings a year. In 1980 I started designing jewelry for the Zales Corporation and continued doing designs, manufacturing and repairs for them along with other shops around town for years after opening my own business in 1984.

Last fall while picking up my kids at a summer camp in Dallas we stopped by a 1/2 price book store to make a pit stop and walking to the back of the store I was stopped in my tracks by a book on stunning hand engraved and inlay guns - and I said to myself "I can do that!"...so I purchased the book - while relating my justification for spending the money and excitement over my new found love - my 15 year old says "sure dad". No worries on the "cold water" comment - I've learned to utilize these experiences to rise above what others might think.

Once home I hit YouTube and spent hours watch and soaking up like a sponge. I did a google search on local engravers as well as sources for purchasing new and used tools. I contacted Steve discussing my background as a bench jeweler and illustrator and he encouraged me with the honest opinion that he thought I had the artistic and technical skills to pursue hand engraving - and his recommendation on which handpiece to acquire (classic due to my interest in engraving guns).

I purchased a used engraving block and later a used microscope arm and head within my budget.

I did not have the money to travel for engraving lessons - contacting Rick Simmons - he was kind enough to charge me for day classes and so I spent my 3 days after Christmas of this year with him. I'm very grateful for how the Good Lord orchestrated these events. God knows how we are made, our intellectual and skill capacities and how to bring joy in our lives at specific seasons when we are ready and prepared for those door to open. The end!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:14 AM
Copper

What a top bloke Mr TW. Just thought I'd share why I engrave for the crack.

I've always lived an exciting life and chased adrenalin. This led me into the forces and then further specialisation as an EOD operator, a job I truly love.

Few years back my wife and I had our first daughter and that truly changed my outlook on life and my priorities. I needed a way to find a mental balance rather than wilfully expending all my energy on a volatile job. My wife (jewellery designer) was the tenuous link to engraving. I'm a machanically minded person and would constantly barrage the goldsmiths with questions, trading stories for stories. I then saw a seal engraving on a heritage ring and my mind was blown (pardon the pun).

My wife's the artistic one whilst I'm the autistic one but my curiosity was stuck so I went on a 3 day course... it was amazing. I loved the focus.

Since then I've trawled this forum and Instagram for inspiration and knowledge.

I soon found out that sharpening was my nemeses. You can't buy a life times worth of knowledge to get the blade angles.... Oh wait you cannnn! The MrThe and Lindsay engraving hobo Nickel set unlocked the fun for me. Such a fair price trading the knowledge of a life time for a small amount of pennies.

I don't engrave to sell the pieces (I find that way to stressful haha), I engrave because I want to be able to create these cool pieces and I find it very therapeutic and only engrave when I have the spare time.

That was longer than expected. Anyway, cheers to all the people on this forum that share their knowledge and trials for no other reason than because they can.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Copper

Don't have a power hone. Need a power hone. Hope I win!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Copper

It will be wonderfull to have this. Will make the learning of this art much easier as it is a battle to get a sharp graver without it. I'll hold thumbs and toes
Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Copper

Hello Mr. White,

I am very new to the engraver forum and engraving world, but I would love to learn. I do have a drawing degree and would very much like to try my hand at this fascinating media. My specialty in drawing is realism and portraits. My father was the one to introduce me to engraving, as we took an engraving class together. I have looked at a good number of engravings lately and see that many of the portraits fall short in their representation. I want to challenge myself! I have begun to acquire a few tools, but don't have a Power Hone and do need one

Thank you for the opportunity to win one!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Gold

And the winner is Baysider

Please contact me
Twdesigns@commspeed.net
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Gold

Congratulations Baysider!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Gold

Many congratulations! :-)

For sure heīs going to be very happy and super generous of Mr. White :-)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
And the winner is Baysider

Please contact me
Twdesigns@commspeed.net
Thank you so much for this wonderful prize, can hardly believe I won it , what a great way to start the day, thank you so much, you are a very generous person, PM sentthank you
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik View Post
Congratulations Baysider!
Thank you, what a great day!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Gold

Congrats Baysider!