Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Gold

Default Potential Beginner Looking to Learn Engraving in NJ

I'm am considering trying engraving as a hobby.

I recently got a GRS Ultra 850 rotary handpiece & the System 3 foot control. I also got Bill Janney's Carving Scroll DVD. The DVD shows how to carve on wood pistol grips. He uses the rotary rotary handpiece for most of the wood carving, & a GraverMax with handpiece & v-chisel for the outline. Seeing the latter got me interested in engraving, & surfing the net for information got me to this forum.

After browsing the forum, seeing the beautiful engravings done by members of the forum, & seeing the Lindsay engraving tools, I am interested in learning to engrave as a hobby.

I'm considering a broad range of starter tool options: push, hammer, adding the GRS System 3 handpiece to my 850, GraverSmith, & the ultimate would be the Lindsay Classic palm airgraver.

Does anyone know of any hobby level groups or engraving classes preferably in Monmouth County NJ?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Gold

Default Re: Potential Beginner Looking to Learn Engraving in NJ

Anyone near Oceanport, NJ willing to demo an Artisan &/or Classic AirGraver?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to KeithPedersen

Im in lincroft pm me your number and I will call you.

www.keithpedersen.com
Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Gold

Hi Keith,

It's good to hear from you. I was surprised and pleased to see that you are in Lincroft.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Platinum

Way to go Keith! Always willing to share your knowledge and expertise.

Bill
Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to KeithPedersen

Quote:
Way to go Keith! Always willing to share your knowledge and expertise.

Bill
Mr. Bill My door is always open for someone wanting to learn to engrave. I have had some GREAT people help me on my engraving journey.

Bill in Oceanport, Glad you stopped by and are so close. Good luck with your engraving and call or stop by anytime. Keith

www.keithpedersen.com
Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithPedersen View Post
Bill in Oceanport, Glad you stopped by and are so close. Good luck with your engraving and call or stop by anytime. Keith
Keith spent around two hours with me last evening.

Keith,

Thank you again for showing & letting me try your Classic airgraver, both the foot pedal and palm control. The sharpening demonstration was just what I needed to eliminate my concerns about being able to sharpen gravers. I also enjoyed learning about Hobo Nickels.

As you will recall, last evening, I was more suited to the foot pedal than the palm control. However, today I realized what I was doing wrong with the palm control. I was trying to get the tool started by squeezing between palm handle and graver. I should have used the graver contact with the practice plate to start the tool when I applied palm pressure to the handle.

I'm putting my order together. Once I get started engraving, I'm sure I'll be needing your help. It's good to have someone close by willing to help a beginner. I also want to learn more about engraving Hobo Nickels.

Thanks again ,
Bill in Oceanport
Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Steel

Hi Bildio:

I use a system3 and hammer & chisle. GRS sold an optional "heavy" piston for the system3, I don't know if they are still availible but, as you spend more time at the bench, you will likely deciede the more options for your equipment the better.

I took an NRA class is North Carolina in 2009 I was exposed to the Lindsay Sharpening system. As a rank beginner I was able to make better cuts using the graver sharpened with the Lindsay System.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversedgehobbyengraver View Post
Hi Bildio:

I use a system3 and hammer & chisle. GRS sold an optional "heavy" piston for the system3, I don't know if they are still availible but, as you spend more time at the bench, you will likely deciede the more options for your equipment the better.

I took an NRA class is North Carolina in 2009 I was exposed to the Lindsay Sharpening system. As a rank beginner I was able to make better cuts using the graver sharpened with the Lindsay System.
Good to hear from you, & thanks for the info.

I only have the rotary handpiece for the GRS System 3.

Since I originally posted, I did get the Lindsay Classic PalmControl with some of the sharpening templates, stones, & laps. I'm very pleased with what I have so far, however, I'll be adding more to the PalmControl, like the tungsten piston.