Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum > Tutorial Contest Archive
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Steel

Default bervin's son's monogram improved

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

Will post picture soon. I made this monogram for my son's guitar case. Very crude. I did the transfer with a paper photo copy and a pin and needle. As soon as I can get a picture I'll post it in a day or two. Just wanted to get started. It is one of my first five at temps. as far as a fallow up I'll start working right away. Just like to say thanks to the forum and to have the opportunity to participate. Picture coming soon.

Last edited by Kaitlin; 07-05-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: type of entry
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Steel

Default Re: bervin's son's monogram

Here's Roberts monogram.still thinking of a worthy 2nd entry. This picture was from the phone. So the picture quality might be minimal. Uploading Pict's. another piece of the puzzle solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roberts monogram.jpg (16.8 KB, 368 views)
Old 07-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Steel

As for my second entry it'll be a reproduction percussion derringer. I drew on it for my preliminary drawing bottom and side in pen. The engraving will be all the way around the barrel with a line border at the tip of the barrel and around or up to the trigger and nipple. As for the rest of the gun it will have to transpire as i go. Wish I had a proper camera. All photo's so far are from my phone. Haven't decided if I will put a silver plug in the center of each square.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Steel

I like what the other competitors are doing. I feel like I might be out of my league. But! I am not a quitter. So I'll do my best. I redrawn my barrel section and I divided it in 8 sections and drew a lines down the barrel, I measured 1\4" marks along the lines, then angled my spiral , in both direction's then I scribe them in for a cleaner line. I tried to take picture of the scribes my phone won't pick up the detail. I will try some lettering on the back spine of the handle and add the caliber of the gun which is 41 cal. Still haven't figured out about the sides of the gun.yet!

Last edited by bervin; 07-08-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: puntuation
Old 07-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Steel

I've decided to change part of my design. I don't believe the slanted checker is pleasing to the eye .I cut a practice plate a 7/8" copper pipe the gun barrel is 9/16th".I think I want to do a spiral one direction.I am thinking of inlaying fine sliver into the barrel In which I've never done. Then in the spiral I will incorporate the caliber and a name for the piece. and then as I will think about the sides and butt of the derringer.

i
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Steel

I need to apologize for I will not be able to complete this project in time allowed.For personal reasons .It will be a project that will have to be completed as my skill increases. Unfortunately with my physical health I am not able to sit at the bench diligently enough to finish in time.
I changed from my original plan of doing a spiral checkered pattern to just a spiral for aesthetic reasons. I wanted to inlay fine silver into the spirals and after several attempts of trying to force the issue and beating up my project decided that the brass of the gun is close to the same hardness of the silver and right now learning to inlay for the first time in a round project and the inlay ability of my materials is questionable.
I also learned that I needed to go into this project with clearcut ideas, on my design. As to not to improvise for being as new to engraving that I am that I have not very much in my library of tried and true designs or patterns everything is a challenge and I just don't want to mess up the derringer by rushing it.
As I finish the project I will post updates. And by then I can get the proper camera the phone isn't cutting it . Thank bervin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0811081705.jpg (13.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 0819081921.jpg (14.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 0811081708.jpg (21.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 0811081705a.jpg (12.2 KB, 91 views)
Closed Thread