Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Gold

Default pedal or palm control?

I am planning on making the jump to an airgraver here soon, but I have been back and forth on wether to go with the palm control or the pedal control. Brian M. let me try out a palm contol a while back, and as I really liked the smoothness, it seemed to me that I had less control than with the pedal, mostly becuase it would really wind up when I went to pop out a chip at the end of my cut, and I found myself subconsously pulling on the ring to make it go rather than pushing it like you're supposed to. I learned to pedal engrave, and people like what they are used to, so knowing this, I figured it would be helpful to get some outside opinions. So the question is, Once you get used to palm control, is it better than the pedal airgraver, or is it simply a different way to make it go? Brian
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Platinum

Default Re: pedal or palm control?

Hey Brian,

I'm sorry - I had a little too much going on the day you were here (with a full class)... or I could've shown you how I come out of the cuts. You're right, after using the foot control for 30 years - it's still hard for me to overcome some of the little habits. I still find my foot wandering around trying to find the pedal when I first sit down... and I've been using one for almost 3 years now? It's still early enough in your career to change habits.

Yes, it feels slightly different with a PC than a foot pedal, you have to resist that urge to shove harder - instead relax and lift it straight up and out of the cut. You'll get the exact same effect at the end of a wide bright cut.

My advice would be the same as what I tell everyone - start out with a foot version and then add the PC when it has paid for itself and you are used to the differences in systems.

I really like the portability of the PC. When Steve first came up with running them on CO2, he was running them on the little disposable cartridges.

It was my idea to run them on the larger refillable 20 oz. paintball tanks. Once Steve figured out an adapter that worked, it made a huge difference, and made the tool even more popular.

You'll also save money by not having to buy collets!

When are you gonna be back this way?

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA, USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
jewelryartschool@aol.com

Last edited by Brian; 05-23-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Platinum

The ability to upgrade when you buy Steve's tools is an under appreciated benefit, I think.

That sort of qualifies as a payment plan, in a way!

Tom
Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

There are two ways to come out of a cut. We can power out for a tapered ending cut or pop out for an abrupt ending. I generally pop out unless it is a long taper ending cut, as it is faster. It sounds like you may have been first pointing the graver deeper and pushing before popping which can be harder on the point. Just pick the point up in a continuous motion at the ends. Some of the cutting in these videos might show this. I use the same method for either the foot pedal or the palm. The videos show the PalmControl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGnyHm4Obbw
http://www.engravingschool.com/handengraving.wmv

There are two modes of thinking when engraving with the PalmControl.
1: I'm going to push engrave to operate the tool.
2: I'm going to squeeze the tool to operate it.

Either way of thinking works. After using the tool for a time, some combination of both techniques are used unconsciously.

The PalmControl can be used with a foot pedal controller in addition to the palm.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to ihsfab

Brian H, before you make your jump you should wait untill after the Engrave-in at Scott P's. Ray Cover is going to be there and I'm sure he will show you how to pop the chip out with a palm control.

Multiple Sclerosis BITES
Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Brian,

That's right, I will have three models (yes there's a new one) of airgravers at the Blade show and at Scott's. You are welcome ot play with them as much as you like.

HOT DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FAT HILLBILLY TURNING BACK FLIPS.

not to change the subject but I was typing away and noticed all these words underlined in red. Apparently when I upgraded my browser the other day the new version has a spell check for forums.

YAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to ihsfab

A new air graver! What did you do Ray? You didn't talk Steve into that methane powered one did you?:D

Multiple Sclerosis BITES
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Gold

I have and use both. I am moving toward the PC most of the time.

Now to Ray, I read between the lines maybe you have been testing something new when you say three models? When and where is blade and how much will this new toy cost me?

Tom White
Old 05-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

I can't say until the Blade Show. It is going to make its debut there in a few more days.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Gold

I debated mainly over the cost between pedal and palm. I did go with the PC, and I'm glad I did. While I'm not experienced at engraving, I do a LOT of flex-shaft work with a pedal, so I understand how it works. Your foot and hand learn to talk to each other, and it's a comfortable thing. But the PalmControl is truly a marvel, and I haven't had the slightest difficulty in making clean, bright, and even cuts from the very first. I can taper out very easily, and while the popping out was harder at first, it too is coming along fine after what is really only a few days of serious practice.

Like any fine tool, it's worth the extra $$ IMO. But the upgrade option is a good one as well.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: pedal or palm control?

hay, the lindsay guy will let you use this gem for 30 days, or maybe it's 40--not sure- and if your'e not happy he will let you return it ! you really cant go wrong buying the pedal model as you can always upgrade it to the palm model anyway. good luck
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Gold

Just a little update. As many of you know, I started my engraving career through GRS, I took a few classes from them and purchased there equipment, I was satisfied. So when Steve came out with his new design, I was sceptical, I heard about all these problems like the angry hornet sound ect. ect. so I never give much thought to switching, but then I started hearing good things about it from people who had no alternate motives other than to share there opinion on the tools performance. Being tired of constantly retuning my monarch handpiece to get the smoothness I need, I decided to try the airgraver, because it requires no tuning. Anyway, I asked to Steve to send me a Classic Airgraver and as soon as I got it up and going, I knew why people where impressed, with in minutes my cutting improved, simply because the Airgraver gives you more control. I am really happy with it and I would recommend anybody who is still using the GMach to give the Airgraver an honest try, you will probably have the same experience I did.
Here is a practice plate I started the day I got the Airgraver, as I said before I instantly had more graver control.

The only complaint, is that there were no angry hornets, Steve must have forgot to put them in the box.:D Brian
Old 06-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Platinum

You wouldn't BELIEVE how much it costs to train and keep angry hornets, so I'm guessing Steve has to reserve them for "special ops" only.

Tom
Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Steel

Brian,
I love the design you came up with for the practice plate. It works well with the outline that Ray provided.

Keith
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Platinum

You guys have got it wrong, as usual... it was "angry wasps" - not hornets. Granted, there ain't much difference - but to a trained ear...

Brian
Old 06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Platinum

Bees,wasp,hornets they all sound the same to me when they are ticked off and in your face! Brian very nice job! I started a plate it doesnt look nearly this good. I did learn a few things attempting this project and i still am going to try and finish it. Well done! You have set the bar high. D.DOUGLAS
Old 06-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Platinum

Glad Steve keeps the wasps in NE