Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Steel

Default Recently completed with the Palm Tool....

I recently had the opportunity to use the Lindsay Palm Tool. Right out of the gate it was a charm to use. It took me about 15 minutes on a practice plate and I figured I was ready to go.
The enclosed photo is the result of about 4 days of intensive testing. I didn’t want to try anything really complicated like background removal so what you see is bright cut.
I will have to admit I found myself pushing on the “Classic” foot pedal, of course, to no avail. I have two of the other Lindsay tools and am really into how these tools work….they are beyond amazing. This Palm Tool is an outstanding piece of equipment. The Palm Tool is extrememly well designed and sure to be around for a long, long time. It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of Lindsay’s shop…tools designed by an engraver for engravers. There is no telling what’s coming up next. I wait with bated breath for the next adventure.
Thanks Steve
Jim Small

Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Recently completed with the Palm Tool....

My girls would love those Jim,

Very, very classy looking.

Ray
Old 04-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Platinum

Hi Jim,
Very Very Nice !! I'm Glad my Wife Can't see this, I did some Practising on my Wedding ring, and now have to buy her a wider gold band to engrave for her.
Jim the edge on the bands, it looks like rope ? how do You, or if any other guy's can give some advice, I have seen it on a few engraving jobs, and would like to know how one does it.

ChrisB.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Jim, They look great. Thank you for posting these and the good review. Glad you got along well with the palmcontrol tool. I'm switching back and forth here from foot to palm while setting the tools up before they ship out and I'll still sometimes catch my foot on the pedal when I first sit down with the palmcontrol.

Do you have some close-ups of the geometric designs I've seen you cut that you could post? Thanks again Jim for your help with the forum and point pages this past week.

Steve
Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Gold

Send a message via MSN to Harold

Very nice work.

Harold
Old 04-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Steel

Chris
I hope the enclosed picture helps explain the process.
The rope cut is actually a ribbon cut and is alternating bright cuts in opposing positions. The way I do it is to engrave my border…what ever width you like…then mark off with a divider a rectangle about half again a wide as the width. I use the Lindsay 120 degree point and start one side laying the graver over at each divider point….then in the opposite direction I split each divided mark. Doing these style borders is all in the rhythm of the cut….such as 1…2….1…2….1….2. Once you get the rhythm the borders go fast. If you have never done these before…try them on a practice plate. By the way, borders are a good way to practice tool control. I have done these cuts with a flat graver but the Lindsay 120 does it much better and faster. I hope this has helped.
Thanks Steve...Chris
Jim

Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Steel

Cool Re: Recently completed with the Palm Tool....

Great work, Tim! Truely what I would aspire to.
BTW, what is the Lindsay 120? Do you layout your designs with a scribe prior to cutting? I think you hinted at this when describing the border design.
Thanks,
wayne