View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Multi-Dimensional Sterling Bracelet

More preparation here as me and dum dum (the dog) gotta go to a cookout ... you are probably wondering when I am going to start cutting. Well, I'm wondering how much longer this project could possibly get delayed!!!

It's kinda cool that I'm doing this tutorial as Steve has recently announced the new western engraving class with Ray. What I've learned through self study is probably only the tip of the iceberg of knowledge that can be learned in a specialized class. This "nickel tour" of the style can get you started and prepare you for a professional class. Pursuing further self study can help add to your skillset but I would certainly recommend a course if you will be doing western engraving frequently.

I've come up with this design for our Western bright cut layout. So much for simplicity

I've added the leaf lines for this tutorial. It is good to draw them in to get your spacing and overlapping correct. I usually just draw right on the metal with a sharpie or scan in an actual size drawing for transfer with acetone as I am doing right here.

Affix the silver (polished 22g Argentium here) to a wooden block using two sided tape .... try to make one a little longer (or as long) as the length of the bracelet. When engraving the ends, it tends to get a little springy on a short block making it difficult to cut. Mine's a little short but I'm used to it now.

Now I've printed the design on a laser printer and transferred it to the Argentium (using a little acetone on a cloth) which is now on the block in the engraving block.

All set to wriggle cut the backbone ..... here's the #38 in the handle and ready to go ....

Next will be a scope shot of the wriggle cut and the finished backbone. Wriggling is done by rolling (from side to side) the graver as you push it or move it around the backbone of the scroll. The motion is all in the wrist as you turn the vise for smooth curves.

See you later tonight or tomorrow .... Chris