View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Platinum

Default The Titan has arrived !!

I've always been a big-vise engraver - that's why my old Ray LaTourneau Block has always occupied Engraving Bench #1.

Sorry old friend, I moved the 45lb LaTourneau to Bench #2 this afternoon shortly after my new 90 pound Lindsay Titan arrived.

This thing is massive, and unpacking and lifting it in place no easy task. It's also smooooooth, and it doesn't move - at all! For all the good things I can say about the LaTourneau, it's biggest downfall is that it still sits on one of those silly rubber tires, and it just feels spongy. I had gotten used to that, and it really didn't occur to me that the new Lindsay Titan would "work" so solidly. Seriously, the graver action is far more effective when the block (no matter what its weight) sits solidly on the bench, and without the rubber tire absorbing some of the impact of the graver strike. This big boy sits on a solid aluminum ring lined with hard leather - the leather provides enough "tac" to keep the ball tightly held in place. The tension between the block and the base is enough enough that works equally as well with the air graver and the hammer and chisel.

I had been working this Python for the past few weeks. When I placed it in the Titan and started to engraved new lines and scrolls I felt the subtle differences in the graver action immediately.

I have some major inlay and sculpting work to do on this gun, and I just know that all that heavy pounding is going to be so much more effective in this block.

Re: GRS Positioning Block - that used to be at bench #2...now it's in storage. I'm not much of a Microscope user anyway, and it was the heaviest non-LaTourneau available. It's for sale................