View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Power less... during the storm

Brian,

We had an ice storm about this time a year ago that knocked out power here for a week. I was still engraving for several flute manufacturers at the time. One of them was Brannen Brothers which turns out around 30 to 35 hand made flutes a month. Each one has logos and serial numbers to be engraved. In order to keep up during the ice storm, I did like you and attached a PalmControl to Co2. There was no way I could have used hammer and chisel and do the same quaility of job, plus it would have taken a half a day to try and cut one by palmpushing, not to mention the increased chances of slipping on a round tube of a flute. I did engrave for Brannens since '94 and but recently stopped. The AirGraver and PalmControl were developed while working for Brannens. Their flutes were what I would test new design protype airgravers on. Before that time I used a machine my father made that uses blow pulses together with a spring in the handpiece. In '94 when I began engraving Brannen's flutes I timed myself cutting one with the blow pulse spring design handpiece. It took 2 hours. When the Chasing AirGraver was made in 2000 I could cut them in 1 hour. When the redesigned nose of the airgraver was developed so it was isolated from the body and the stroke adjustment ring the time I could then cut them was 45 minutes. Finally when the PalmControl was developed I could them cut them in 30 to 35 minutes. This video (link) is of engraving one from start to finish with the PalmControl.
Thinking back on this, if I wanted to make money at this there was no way I could go back to the past power tools designs or manual hammer and chisel.

I recently gave up the Brannen flute engraving. Andy S. and Tim A. are now cutting them. I have spoken with Andy. He is using a PalmControl and he can also engrave them in around 30 minute time too. Anyway, during the week without power I was able to get some work done with the PalmControl and Co2. Without it I would of fallen behind trying to keep up with Brannens 30 to 35 flutes a month.

Steve

EngravingArtist.com